Home » Investing in Excellence »Vol.5 No.1, 2011 Entrepreneurship » Currently Reading:

MOHN SCHOLARSHIP

Amy Peyton says receiving a privately funded scholarship has allowed her to become involved on campus and make a difference by volunteering in elementary schools through her sorority.

Amy Peyton is the first recipient of the Jim and Connie Mohn Scholarship. Peyton is a senior in agricultural business, economics and public service and administration in agriculture from Sac City. She will use the gift to fund her study abroad experience to Rome on the Dean’s Global Agriculture and Food Leadership program where she will work on a team project with the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization.

Jim (’75 agricultural education, animal science) and Connie Mohn from Cherokee, created the scholarship to support students in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences as they prepare for and complete a study abroad experience.  The couple set up the scholarship with a deferred gift, but chose to activate the account immediately by making annual cash gifts.  “We hope these scholarships will help retain students by providing an opportunity to study abroad, and help students obtain a degree,” Jim Mohn says. “We’re looking forward to meeting the recipients and seeing the impact of our gift.”

Comment on this Article:

STORIES

FROM THE DEAN – SPRING 2014

21 Jul 2014

3174

I was born and raised in Kansas, but Iowa is my home. I’ve come to know Iowa as a very special place. It’s where I’ve spent much of my life and career. It is a privilege to serve as the dean of agriculture at Iowa’s land grant university, on behalf …

FOREWARD – SPRING 2014

21 Jul 2014

3177

We’re all Iowans. Our time on campus unites us all as Iowans, if only for a few years. When I interview alumni, especially those from out of state, I always ask them what drew them to Iowa State and what made their time in Ames special. Some mention the picturesque, …