Home » Entrees »Recipes »Vol.5 No.2, 2011 Recipe for Success » Currently Reading:

Beef in Burgundy

November 21, 2011 Entrees, Recipes, Vol.5 No.2, 2011 Recipe for Success No Comments

–from the kitchen of: Dorian Garrick, professor animal science

Ingredients:

3 pounds sirloin steak

1 tablespoon butter

2 tablespoons oil

4 onions, sliced

1 teaspoon sugar

1 clove garlic

1 pound whole mushrooms

2 slices of fried bacon, chopped

2 tablespoons flour

2 cups red wine

2-3 cups water

2 beef stock cubes (or 2 tablespoons beef stock)

1 bay leaf

1 teaspoon salt

Pepper to taste

Directions: Trim meat and cut into cubes. Brown one-half pound at a time in butter and oil.  Place browned meat in heavy pan, casserole or crockpot.  Brown onions in remaining butter and oil. Add sugar, crushed garlic, whole mushrooms, and chopped bacon.  Cook slowly until tender. Remove from pan and put aside.  Stir flour into same frying pan.  Return pan to heat and brown flour without letting it burn.  Gradually add wine and stir well until sauce thickens.  Place all ingredients including water, stock cubes, and bay leaf in pan with meat and simmer on stove or bake in oven at 300°Ffor approximately two and a half hours. Add an extra cup of water during cooking if necessary, and adjust seasoning as required.  Serve with rice or mashed potatoes and vegetable of choice.

Back to story: http://stories.cals.iastate.edu/2011/11/producing-more-with-less/

Comment on this Article:

STORIES

FROM THE DEAN – SPRING 2014

21 Jul 2014

3174

I was born and raised in Kansas, but Iowa is my home. I’ve come to know Iowa as a very special place. It’s where I’ve spent much of my life and career. It is a privilege to serve as the dean of agriculture at Iowa’s land grant university, on behalf …

FOREWARD – SPRING 2014

21 Jul 2014

3177

We’re all Iowans. Our time on campus unites us all as Iowans, if only for a few years. When I interview alumni, especially those from out of state, I always ask them what drew them to Iowa State and what made their time in Ames special. Some mention the picturesque, …