Home » Appetizers »Recipes »Soups »Vol.5 No.2, 2011 Recipe for Success » Currently Reading:

Friday Night Football Chili

November 21, 2011 Appetizers, Recipes, Soups, Vol.5 No.2, 2011 Recipe for Success No Comments

–from the kitchen of David MacDonald (’87 animal science), president and chief operating officer OSI Group

Ingredients:

3 pounds 80% lean ground beef

46 ounces tomato juice (can use up to 30 ounces more to dilute)

28-ounce can diced tomatoes

28-ounce can crushed tomatoes (can be Italian or garlic flavored)

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon sugar

2 packets McCormick Original Chili Flavoring

2 tablespoons chili powder (can add more to taste)

2 cups diced green, yellow, or red peppers

2 cups diced large white onion

3 cups diced celery

2-5 diameter slices of Jalapeño pepper

Directions

Brown ground beef in pan and drain the fat and water.  Place cooked beef in large pot and add tomato juice, cans of tomatoes, salt, sugar, chili powder, and packets of chili flavoring.  Heat and stir for at least five minutes.  Add onions, celery, and Jalapeño pepper slices.  Heat until simmering. Add peppers last so they remain somewhat firm.  Add additional chili powder and salt to taste.  Feeds up to 20 kids.

Back to story: http://stories.cals.iastate.edu/2011/11/engaging-local-tastes-to-satisfy-a-global-palate/

Comment on this Article:

STORIES

FROM THE DEAN – SPRING 2014

21 Jul 2014

3174

I was born and raised in Kansas, but Iowa is my home. I’ve come to know Iowa as a very special place. It’s where I’ve spent much of my life and career. It is a privilege to serve as the dean of agriculture at Iowa’s land grant university, on behalf …

FOREWARD – SPRING 2014

21 Jul 2014

3177

We’re all Iowans. Our time on campus unites us all as Iowans, if only for a few years. When I interview alumni, especially those from out of state, I always ask them what drew them to Iowa State and what made their time in Ames special. Some mention the picturesque, …