Home » Entrees »Recipes »Vol.5 No.2, 2011 Recipe for Success » Currently Reading:

Lamb Ragu and Pappardelle Pasta

November 21, 2011 Entrees, Recipes, Vol.5 No.2, 2011 Recipe for Success No Comments

– from the kitchen of Kevin Rettig (’94 food science and technology), general manager, The Café

Ingredients:

½ pound diced Pancetta or bacon

1 cup diced yellow onion

½ cup diced celery

½ cup diced carrots

2 ½  pounds ground lamb

½ cup flour, all-purpose

½ cup white wine

½ cup tomato paste

1 quart whole milk

½ cup heavy whipping cream

Directions:

Cook pancetta in a large stock pot on medium heat.  Once pancetta starts to crisp, add vegetables and cook in rendered fat.  When vegetables are tender, turn heat up to high and add the ground lamb.  Season lamb and veggie mixture with salt and pepper and cook lamb until brown on all sides.  Add flour and mix until incorporated.  Add tomato paste and white wine. Cook until the wine is almost evaporated.  Reduce heat to low.  Add one-third of the milk, cook until reduced to sauce consistency.  Repeat process until milk is gone.  Add cream, check seasonings, and remove from heat.  Serve over pappardelle pasta.

Back to story: http://stories.cals.iastate.edu/2011/11/serving-up-local-foods-using-old-world-methods/

Comment on this Article:

STORIES

FROM THE DEAN – SPRING 2014

21 Jul 2014

3174

I was born and raised in Kansas, but Iowa is my home. I’ve come to know Iowa as a very special place. It’s where I’ve spent much of my life and career. It is a privilege to serve as the dean of agriculture at Iowa’s land grant university, on behalf …

FOREWARD – SPRING 2014

21 Jul 2014

3177

We’re all Iowans. Our time on campus unites us all as Iowans, if only for a few years. When I interview alumni, especially those from out of state, I always ask them what drew them to Iowa State and what made their time in Ames special. Some mention the picturesque, …