Home » Entrees »Recipes »Vol.5 No.2, 2011 Recipe for Success » Currently Reading:

Mexican Chicken

November 21, 2011 Entrees, Recipes, Vol.5 No.2, 2011 Recipe for Success No Comments

– from the kitchen of Kevin Shalinske, professor food science and human nutrition

Ingredients:

3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

14-28 ounces chicken broth or stock

Taco seasoning packet

1, 8-ounce can tomato sauce

4-5 bay leaves

Tabasco sauce or red pepper to taste

Directions: Place chicken breasts in a large skillet.  Add chicken broth to cover bottom half of the chicken.  Sprinkle top of chicken with one third to one half a package of taco seasoning.  Turn on high to get the broth almost boiling, then turn down to simmer stirring occasionally.  Cover and let it simmer at least an hour – the longer the better.  Do not let stock go dry – add more as needed.  Shred chicken in the pan with the stock (I think it is easiest using two wooden spoons).  After chicken is shredded, add tomato sauce, the rest of the taco seasoning and the bay leaves.  Turn up the heat to heat through, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer.  Simmer about an hour or so stirring occasionally to move the bay leaves around.  Remove bay leaves before serving. Use as a filling for tacos, burritos, egg omelet, pizza topping, etc.

Back to story: http://stories.cals.iastate.edu/2011/11/you-are-what-you-eat/

Comment on this Article:

STORIES

FROM THE DEAN – SPRING 2014

21 Jul 2014

3174

I was born and raised in Kansas, but Iowa is my home. I’ve come to know Iowa as a very special place. It’s where I’ve spent much of my life and career. It is a privilege to serve as the dean of agriculture at Iowa’s land grant university, on behalf …

FOREWORD – SPRING 2014

21 Jul 2014

3177

We’re all Iowans. Our time on campus unites us all as Iowans, if only for a few years. When I interview alumni, especially those from out of state, I always ask them what drew them to Iowa State and what made their time in Ames special. Some mention the picturesque, …