Capping Off The Student Experience

Bart Howard was known on campus for the costumes he wore to class around Halloween — and for being an excellent student.

He donned a cap and gown when he graduated magna cum laude in December with degrees in forestry and agricultural business. Howard was selected to represent the college at commencement as its student marshal to honor his accomplishments.

He also was a letter winner on the track team and was selected to represent the student chapter of the Society of American Foresters at its national convention last fall. Howard had impressive internships every year of his college career, and is working as an arborist for Ryan Lawn and Tree in Kansas City.

“Bart is constantly on the move,” says Richard Schultz, university professor of natural resource ecology and management, who served as his escort as marshal, and led a study abroad trip to China that Howard completed.

“I’m most proud of my family; how my parents raised me and how close I am with my sisters, Holly and Hannah,” Howard says.

The three siblings had majors in natural resource fields and lived together while going to school. Holly graduated in 2010 (animal ecology, environmental studies and biology). Hannah plans to graduate in fall 2013 with a forestry degree and spring 2013 with an animal ecology degree.

They were by his side to celebrate his graduation.