From The Dean – Spring 2014

I was born and raised in Kansas, but Iowa is my home. I’ve come to know Iowa as a very special place. It’s where I’ve spent much of my life and career.

It is a privilege to serve as the dean of agriculture at Iowa’s land grant university, on behalf of the education we provide to our tremendous students and for the research and extension we provide to Iowans working hard every day on behalf of Iowa’s leading industry.

That’s why it was gratifying to learn Iowa State was ranked fifth worldwide for institutions of agriculture and forestry in the 2014 QS World University Rankings. The rankings rely strongly on reputation, as informed by survey responses of tens of thousands of employers and academic peers. The rankings also take into account citations of scientific papers, another strong indicator of the standing of our faculty and our college in the eyes of the world.

Recognition like this reflects well on the state of Iowa’s values and commitment to agriculture and education. It highlights Iowa State’s commitment to excellence in education and opportunity, science and innovation and extension and service. I believe it’s what continues to draw students in growing numbers. We now have the third largest undergraduate student body in agriculture and life sciences in the country.

We work hard to earn our reputation every day, in service to the state, the world and our students’ futures. That’s the Iowa way.

Wendy Wintersteen

Endowed Dean of Agriculture and Life Sciences