Foreword – Spring 2015

I work in the middle of an art museum.

It’s the best kind of art museum—public. Its pieces belong to all of us. My office overlooks the centerpiece of Iowa State’s Art on Campus collection. Two farmers designed the lush, green expanse of Central Campus – a fact that only makes me love it more. I pass treasured works by Christian Petersen and Grant Wood on my way to meetings. I try, as often as I can, to slow my pace and take in the beauty surrounding me.

Hear more about these farmers, their vision and how our heritage of art and agriculture developed together at Iowa State from Lynette Pohlman, director and chief curator, on page 16. We thank Lynette and all the staff at University Museums for their assistance with this issue as we share recent additions to ISU’s Art on Campus collection related to agriculture and life sciences with our alumni and friends around the world.

While reviewing story ideas and artwork for this issue a few themes surfaced. Much of our campus art captures the cutting-edge science and technology of the time. Many pieces illustrate the interdependence of livestock, plants, soil, water and human health. But, most inspiring is the celebration of student mentorship and teaching excellence.

These core values are personified in the special edition poster featured in the center spread of this issue – a reproduction of a new painting for the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences gifted by alums Jim and Marcia Borel, Do You Know What’s Inside This Flower? George Washington Carver Mentors a Young Henry A. Wallace. (Read more on page 19.)

Please save the date for our biggest alumni gathering of the year, our annual CALS BBQ on September 5.

Prior to the Cyclone football home opener, this year’s event will debut a CALS Kid’s Corner of fun, educational activities. We’ll once again be located at the Jeff and Deb Hansen Agricultural Student Learning Center on Mortensen Road, with free parking and a short one-mile walk to Jack Trice Stadium. We’ll be in touch with more details.

While you’re on campus I encourage you to seek out and discover the recent additions to the Art on Campus collection and visit old favorites. University Museums offers a helpful map on its website www.museums.iastate.edu. Don’t miss your chance to slow your pace and take in all these amazing new works. After all, they belong to you, too.

Kind regards,

Melea Reicks Licht