News From Campus—Vol. 8 No.1, 2014
Cals Students Leaders Across The Country, World
- Jenna Tesdall, junior in global resource systems and biology, was elected president of the International Association of students in Agricultural and Related Sciences
- Bailey Morrell, senior in agricultural studies, was elected national president of Students of Agronomy, Soils and Environmental Sciences
- Mike Duffy, professor of economics, retired in April
- William Edwards (’69 agricultural economics, ’71 MS, ’79 PhD), professor of economics, retired in June
- Roger Elmore, professor of agronomy, retired in January
- Cornelia Flora, professor of sociology, retired in May
- Jan Flora, professor of sociology, retired in June
- Hank Harris, professor of animal science, retired in January
- James Kliebenstein, professor of economics, retired in May
- Andrew VanLocke, assistant professor of agronomy
- Georgeanne Artz, (’05 PhD economics), assistant professor of economics
- Christopher Currey, assistant professor of Horticulture
- Shawn Dorius, assistant professor of Sociology
ISU Ranked Among Top Agriculture And Forestry Universities In World
Iowa State University has been ranked fifth in the world among universities in the area of agriculture and forestry by a Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings. Last year, Iowa State ranked 10th among universities in agriculture and forestry.
Hogberg Honored For Distinguished Service By National Pork Board
Maynard Hogberg (’66 agricultural and life sciences education, ’72 MS animal science, ’76 PhD), professor and chair of the Iowa State University Department of Animal Science was honored with the 2014 distinguished service award from the National Pork Board for his contributions to the industry.
Downing Awarded Naumann-Thienemann Medal
John Downing, ecology, evolution and organismal biology and agricultural and biosystems engineering, was awarded the Naumann-Thienemann medal by the International Society of Limnology. The award is the highest honor that can be bestowed internationally for outstanding scientific contributions to limnology.
Edwards Receives ASFMRA Distinguished Service Award
William Edwards (’69 agricultural business,’71 MS agricultural economics, ’79 PhD), emeritus professor in economics, received the Carl F. Hertz Distinguished Service in Agriculture Award by the American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers. Edwards also was awarded the Gold Quill Award.
Rust Honored By American Meat Science Association
Bob Rust, emeritus professor of animal science, received the 2013 American Meat Science Association R.C. Pollock Award. Rust is the first Iowa State professor to receive the award, which is the highest honor bestowed in the association and represents exceptional contributions to meat science and the organization.
Student Organizations Bring Home National Honors
- Agricultural Business Quiz Bowl Team: first place
- Block and Bridle Club: first place, pride of schools: first place, chapter year book; third place, club activities; third place, webpage, National Block & Bridle Convention
- Crops Judging Team: second place overall: first place, Ag Knowledge Bowl, North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture Crops Contest
- Dairy Judging Team: fifth place, National Dairy Cattle Judging Contest
- Fisheries and Wildlife Club: first place, Wildlife Society Midwest Student Conclave Quiz Bowl
- Food Products Development Team: second place, Dairy Research Institute’s new product competition
- Livestock Judging Team: first place, Iowa Beef Expo; first place (reasons division), Nebraska Cattleman’s Classic; second place, Sioux Empire Farm Show; third place, National Barrow Contest
- Meat Judging Team: first place, Southeastern Intercollegiate Meat Judging Contest; fourth place, ISU Intercollegiate Meat Judging Contest
- National Agri-Marketing Association: second place, NAMA Agri-Marketing Competition; first place, John Deere Signature Award; second place, Outstanding Student Chapter Award
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine Club: hosted the National American Pre-Veterinary Medical Association Symposium