Alumni News – Fall 2014
Cals Alumni Honored During Homecoming
The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and the Iowa State University Alumni Association presented awards at the annual Alumni Association Honors and Awards Ceremony on Oct. 10. Read more about awardees at www.stories.cals.iastate.edu.
- Sig Cornelius (’76 farm operation), back row, center —CALS Floyd Andre Award
- Antoine J. Alston (’00 PhD ag and life sciences education), front row right —CALS George Washington Carver Distinguished Service Award
- Steven Bradbury (’81 MS entomology, ’85 PhD), front row second from left – CALS Henry A. Wallace Award
- Laurie A. Hueneke Martens (’01 animal science, international ag), front row second from right – CALS Superior Achievement Award for Early or Mid-Career Alumni
- Kevin Drury (’83 ag business), not pictured, – ISU Alumni Association Alumni Medal
- Matthew Eddy (’99 ag and life sciences education, ’09 MS), back row, right – ISU Alumni Association Outstanding Young Alumni Award
- Nupur Ghoshal (’95 genetics), front row, left – ISU Alumni Association Outstanding Young Alumni Award
- Rachel L. Hymbaugh (’96 horticulture), not pictured – ISU Alumni Association James A. Hopson Alumni Volunteer Award
- Douglas (’71 horticulture), back row second from right, and Ellen (’72 zoology) Nelson, back row left – ISU Alumni Association Alumni Service Award
Deal Lecture By Bill Northey Available Online
Iowa Secretary of Agriculture Bill Northey (’81 ag business) delivered the 2014 William K. Deal Endowed Leadership Lecture on Sept. 30 “Telling Our Story: The Future of Iowa’s Farm Families.” Northey is a fourth generation farmer and raises corn and soybeans on his family farm near Spirit Lake. Watch his complete presentation online.
National Awards, Honors
- Jerry Hatfield (’75 PhD agronomy), director of the USDA Agricultural Research Service (ARS) National Laboratory for Agriculture and the Environment at Iowa State University, inducted into the ARS Science Hall of Fame.
- Dave McKenna (’97 animal science, ’99 MS, ’99 PhD meat science and food science and technology), director of meat research applications at Tyson Foods, Inc., Distinguished Achievement Award from the American Meat Science Association.
- Jason Ross (’00 animal science), associate professor of animal science at Iowa State, Lloyd L. Anderson Endowed Professorship in Physiology, 2014 American Society of Animal Science Early Career Achievement.
- Terry Steinhart(’70 agricultural and life sciences education, ’90 MS), Iowa State University Extension and Outreachswine program specialist, National Association of County Agriculture Agents Distinguished Service Award.
Hanna Recognized For Applied Research
Mark Hanna (’73 agricultural engineering, ’75 MS) received the Dean Lee R. Kolmer Award for Excellence in Applied Research from the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at Iowa State on Aug. 28. An agricultural engineer with ISU Extension and Outreach, Hanna was recognized for his research to find practical solutions to challenges faced by crop producers.