Online Extras – Fall 2015
Foreword: Take a 24-minute lesson on the soil nitrogen cycle, drainage and nitrate loss from CALS faculty members Matt Helmers and Mike Castellano.
Page 5: Watch the Shade Slayers in action as they cut, clear and burn invasive species in the Indiangrass Hills prairie area in southwest Iowa.
Page 10: Watch Danny O’Neill’s presentation of the 2015 Deal Lecture, “How Baling Hay Prepared Me to Become the Coffee ‘Bean Baron,’.”
Page 14: Celebrate the Year of Soils
- Iowa House Resolution 31
- FAO: Global Soil Partnership International Year of Soils
- Soil Science Society of America International Year of Soils
- Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture International Year of Soils
Page 16: Learn more about managing nitrogen with Iowa State University experts Matt Helmers and Mike Castellano in videos online and find links to Iowa State University Extension and Outreach resources.
- Video Lesson on the Nitrogen Cycle by Mike Castellano, agronomy, and Matt Helmers, agricultural and biosystems engineering
- International Plant Nutrition Institute video featuring long-term water quality research at Gilmore City, Iowa, Matt Helmers, agricultural and biosystems engineering, and John Sawyer, agronomy
- Iowa Nutrient Research Center
Page 29: Learn more about the Leopold Center and its work in nutrient management, water quality and more.
Page 31: Check out the new CALS alumni webpage.
Page 38: Learn more about partnerships fostered through the Iowa Agriculture Water Alliance.
Page 39: Check out ISU Extension and Outreach’s “how-to” on grassroots water quality improvement—the Hewitt Creek Model and watch the Iowa Farm Bureau’s Iowa Minute on bioreactors.
Page 40: For information about contributing to the Paul Doak Agricultural Business Recruiting Scholarship visit the ISU Foundation online or contact the Iowa State University Foundation at (515) 294-7677.