News from Campus – Spring 2017
New College Leadership
- John Lawrence (’84 animal science, ’86 MS economics), interim vice president of Iowa State University Extension and Outreach, formerly CALS associate dean for extension and outreach and director of agriculture and natural resources extension
- Jay Harmon, interim CALS associate dean for extension and outreach and interim director of agriculture and natural resources extension, will continue as professor of ag and biosystems engineering and extension and outreach livestock housing specialist
- Hongwei Xin, CALS assistant dean for research, will continue as director of Egg Industry Center, Charles F. Curtiss Distinguished Professor and Iowa Egg Council Endowed Professor in agriculture and biosystems engineering and animal science
- Mark Honeyman (’77 animal science, ’83 MS, ’89 PhD), CALS associate dean for operations, will continue as professor of animal science and agricultural education and studies and coordinator of the statewide ISU Research and Demonstration Farms
CALS Teams Triumph
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences students won the overall sweepstakes award at the North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture (NACTA) Judging Contest on April 7 at Kansas State University. For the third year in a row, Iowa State teams (pictured) won the overall sweepstakes award among four-year institutions.
- The Iowa State Crops Team won first place at the American Royal Livestock show, Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture Crops Contest, Iowa State University Crops Contest and NACTA Crops Contest. They earned second place at the Chicago Collegiate Crops Contest.
- Brady Goetz (junior, animal science), Holly Brown (sophomore, animal science), Tymbrie Snobl (senior, animal science) and Breyer Ott (senior, animal science) received second place at the American Society of Animal Science and American Society of Dairy Science Midwest Regional Academic Quadrathlon.
National Honors for Faculty Excellence
- Joe Cordray (’71 animal science), extension meat specialist, Smithfield Chair in Meat Extension and professor-in-charge of ISU Meat Laboratory, inducted to Meat Industry Hall of Fame
- Joe Sebranek, Charles F. Curtiss Distinguished Professor and Morrison Endowed Chair in Meat Science, inducted to Meat Industry Hall of Fame
- Stephanie Hansen (’02 animal science), associate professor of animal science, American Society of Animal Science Outstanding Young Researcher Award
- Mike Castellano, associate professor of agronomy, Soil Science Society of America Early Career Professional Award
- Susana Goggi, associate professor of agronomy, Crop Science Society of America fellow
- Ali Tabatabai, professor of agronomy, Soil Science Society of America Distinguished Service Award
- Lois Wright Morton, professor, sociology, retired in April
- Russ Mullen, professor, agronomy, retired in April
- Vince Lawson (’75 horticulture, ’83 MS), superintendent, Iowa State Muscatine Island Research and Demonstration Farm of Fruitland, retired in January
- Fred Hall (’81 dairy science), dairy field specialist, ISU Extension and Outreach
- Erik Potter, swine field specialist, ISU Extension and Outreach
- Catherine Swoboda (’08 agronomy, ’10 crop production and physiology), lecturer, Global Resource Systems
- Emily Zimmerman (’11 biology, global resource systems), lecturer, Global Resource Systems