From the President – Fall 2017

When you open this issue of STORIES, I will have spent the first few weeks in my new job as president of the best land-grant university in the country.

Since the October 23 announcement of my selection as the 16th president of Iowa State University, I’ve received hundreds of messages from alumni and friends. Thank you to those who took the time to send notes of congratulations and best wishes. Your thoughtfulness meant a lot to me.

I will do my very best to make you proud to be alumni of Iowa State University, and of this great College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. I know that Joe Colletti, the interim dean of the college, will continue our momentum into the future and leading into a national search for a new dean.

Since October 23, more than once I’ve found myself thinking about the “story of two Rogers,” a tale that’s been told in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences for over 30 years.

Roger Bruene (’56, agronomy) served as the college’s placement officer from 1975 to 1998, and a total of 40 years as a dedicated Iowa State employee. Roger Underwood (’80 agricultural business) was the ringleader of a group of alumni who, over several years, sent Roger Bruene a stream of tributes from around the world. The notes were jotted on postcards, letters, photos, napkins, airsickness bags—any surface that could hold ink. One was even rolled up and put in a wine bottle.

All the notes contained the same message: “I love my job!” That is the message I want to share with you now. I love my job. I have loved every job I’ve had at Iowa State University, from working with farmers as an extension integrated pest management specialist to serving as Endowed Dean of one of the very best agricultural colleges in the world.

My next chapter of service to this great university has begun. In every chapter, I have served joyfully and with optimism for what the future holds. Please stay connected. I welcome your input and continued support as we move the university forward.

Wendy Wintersteen

President, Iowa State University

Endowed Dean of Agriculture and Life Sciences 2006-2017