Alumni News – Fall 2018
WINTERSTEEN INSTALLED AS 16TH PRESIDENT OF IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY,
HONORED BY STATE AND INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
Wendy Wintersteen (’88 PhD entomology) was installed as the 16th president of Iowa State University in September. In August, she was named to the World Food Prize Council of Advisors and selected as a 2018 Women of Influence honoree by The Des Moines Business Record.
HENDERSON RECEIVES LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
Lynn Henderson (‘74 ag journalism), owner of Henderson Communications, was presented the Lifetime Achievement Award from the American Agricultural Editors Association by Betsy Freese (’84 ag journalism) during the Agricultural Media Summit in August. Henderson Communications’ principle products include Agri Marketing Magazine and related digital products.
KINZENBAW RECEIVES HONORARY DEGREE
Jon Kinzenbaw, CEO and chairman of the board for Kinze Manufacturing, Inc., received an honorary Doctor of Science degree from Iowa State University at the spring commencement ceremony. Through his work at Kinze Manufacturing, Kinzenbaw brought innovative technologies and mechanization to production agriculture while continuing to farm. Faculty members in agricultural and biosystems engineering nominated Kinzenbaw for the honorary degree.
CALS ALUMNI EARN GLOBAL, NATIONAL HONORS
• Kelly Norris (’08 horticulture, ’11 MS), director of horticulture and education, Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden, American Horticultural Society Emerging Horticultural Professional Award
• Kevin Ross (’03 ag studies), farmer near Minden, elected vice-president, National Corn Growers Association’s Corn Board
• Jennifer Zumbach (’01 animal science), farmer near Manchester, Iowa; American Jersey Cattle Association Young Farmer Award
CALS ALUMNI, FRIENDS HONORED BY COLLEGE, ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
CALS graduates and friends were honored by Iowa State University for service to the college and agricultural and life sciences industries during Homecoming events in October.
• Floyd Andre Award, James R. Christensen, (’82 farm operation) (back right), co-owner Christensen Feedlot and Royal Beef
• George Washington Carver Distinguished Service Award, Dawn Mellion-Patin (’95 PhD ag and life sciences education) (front center), vice chancellor for extension and outreach at Southern University Agricultural Research and Extension Center
• Henry A. Wallace Award, Max F. Rothschild (back second from left), Iowa State University Charles F. Curtiss Distinguished Professor in Agriculture and Life Sciences and the M.E. Ensminger Endowed Chair in International Animal Agriculture
• Outstanding Young Professional Award, Jen Sorenson (’01 animal science, journalism and mass communication) (front second from left), communications director, Iowa Select Farms
Alumni Association Awards
• Alumni Medal, Roger C. Underwood (’80 ag business) (front second from right), businessman
• Alumni Merit Award, Brian Darrow (’79 animal science, ’83 DVM) (back left), owner, Anamosa Veterinary Clinic