The CALS Advantage – Fall 2019
CY’S THE LIMIT: CALS STUDENTS SHINE DURING HOMECOMING 2019
The Agricultural Business Club at Iowa State University received the Iowa State University Alumni Association Impact Award. The award recognizes individuals, businesses, organizations or units whose programs or accomplishments brought broad recognition to the university. The Agricultural Business Club is the first student organization to win the award. The club is one of the largest and most active student organizations on campus. It was established in 1954 and endowed by Farm Credit Services of America in 2015.
- Kayla Kaalberg (senior, global resource systems, agriculture and society, Spanish) was one of 10 finalists receiving the Cardinal Court Scholarship. Students nominated to the Cardinal Court are recognized for their academic achievements, campus leadership, character and service to community.
- Seven CALS students served on the 2019 Homecoming Central Committee. Students organized a week of activities for alumni, students and friends around this year’s theme, “Cy’s the Limit.”
- Heidi Fichter (senior, ag and life sciences education), Community Service Committee
- Trey Boyle (junior, ag business) Cardinal and Gold Tournaments Committee
- Hunter Crawford (sophomore, ag business), Special Events Committee
- Shane Dierickx (senior, ag business), Campus Involvement Committee
- Lilian Swanson (junior, ag business), Cardinal Tournaments
- Cody Mead (junior, ag business), Logistics Committee
- Cole Moody (senior, ag studies), Displays Committee
WHERE MUSIC AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP MEET
EllieMae Millenkamp (senior, ag business), was featured on season 17 of NBC’s “The Voice”, a reality show using blind auditions to find the industry’s new talent. Millenkamp, originally from Idaho, was selected to perform on county-music star Blake Shelton’s team. While she didn’t advance within the show, Millenkamp noted she used the skills learned through College of Agriculture and Life Sciences entrepreneurial courses to create her business, EllieMae Music.
CALS STUDENT APPOINTED TO BOARD OF REGENTS
Zack Leist (junior, ag business, economics, international ag) has been appointed to the Board of Regents, State of Iowa, by Governor Kim Reynolds. Leist serves as chair for the travel committee for the student Agricultural Business Club. He’s head of finance for Alpha Gamma Rho and has served as a CALS Ambassador.
SUCCESS FOR CALS STUDENT TEAMS:
- Agricultural Business Club: Outstanding Club Award, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association
- Dairy Judging Team: third place overall and reasons, Central Star Accelerated Genetics Dairy Cattle Judging Contest; third place reasons and fourth place overall, Intercollegiate Dairy Cattle Judging Contest at the World Dairy Expo
- North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture: Overall Sweepstakes Award
- Power Pullers: first place written design report and third place design judging, Association Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers International Quarter-Scale Tractor Student Design Competition
- Horticulture Club: first place, 2019 Mid-American Collegiate Horticultural Society Competition
- Livestock Judging Team: high team overall, Aksarben Senior Collegiate Livestock Judging Contest
- Soils Judging Team: second place, Central Region Collegiate Crops Contest