CALS Sweet Blue Melon Salad
- ¼ cup white-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoons honey
- Crimson Sweet or All Sweet Seedless Watermelon, thinly sliced
- Cantaloupe, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces prosciutto
- 1 – 2 cups arugula
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Cheiftain apple, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Maytag Blue cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup toasted walnuts, chopped
Combine all dressing ingredients and whisk together to fully combine. Set aside.
Start assembling the salad by covering a large flat serving dish with sliced watermelon
and cantaloupe. Lay sliced prosciutto pieces over fruit followed by the
arugula. Top with sliced red onions, apple, blue cheese, parsley and walnuts.
Drizzle salad with vinaigrette until lightly dressed; you may not need it all.
* Note: Proscuitto is a salt cured ham and is often sliced very thinly.
It can be found packaged and sold in the refrigerated deli meats area.
—Lauren Grant, Culinary Science