Alumni News In Brief—Vol. 8 No. 1
CALS Honors Harl With Portrait
A portrait of Neil E. Harl (’55 agriculture and life sciences education, PhD ’65 economics) has been installed in the Harl Commons, located in Curtiss Hall. Harl, Charles F. Curtiss Distinguished Professor in Agriculture and Life Sciences and emeritus professor of economics, and wife Darlene were the lead donors for the creation of the popular student-centered space which houses a café, student meeting areas, a public computer bank, lounge seating and study tables.
Blome Speaks At Hertz Lecture
Jim Blome, president and CEO of Bayer CropScience North America, presented the 2013 Carl and Marjory Hertz Lecture on Emerging Issues in Agriculture April 3 on the Iowa State University Campus. Blome’s (’85 agronomy and pest management) presentation is available via podcast.
CALS Alumni Honored By College, Alumni Association
Many CALS graduates and honorary alumni have been awarded university honors this year for service to the agricultural industry:
- Floyd Andre Award: David Morrison (’69 food technology, ’71 MS chemical engineering), Paradise Valley, Ariz.
- Henry A. Wallace Award: Jim Blome (’85 agronomy and pest management), Raleigh, N.C.
- Superior Achievement Award for Early or Mid-Career Alumni: Sarah A. Low (’02 public service and administration in agriculture), Arlington, Va.
Iowa State Alumni Association Awards
Outstanding Young Alumni Award
- Matthew Leu (’99 animal science, ’07 MBA), Pewaukee, Wis.
- Catherine Swoboda, (’08 agronomy, ’10 MS crop production and physiology), Des Moines, Iowa
STATEment Maker Award
- Angela (Fredericks) Anderson (’05 public service and administration in agriculture), Ankeny, Iowa
- Janelle Buxton (’05 agriculture and life sciences education), Des Moines, Iowa
- Jill Madden (’10 genetics), Ames, Iowa
- Jeremy Swanson (’05 agricultural systems technology), Lehigh, Iowa
Distinguished Alumni Award
- Gerald A. Kolschowsky (’62 agricultural business), Sarasota, Fla.
Honorary Alumni Award
- Jeff and Deb Hansen Iowa Select Farms, West Des Moines, Iowa
- John T. Pesek, Jr. emeritus professor of agronomy, Ames, Iowa