Home » Entrees »Recipes »Vol.5 No.2, 2011 Recipe for Success » Currently Reading:

Vegetable Fried Rice

November 21, 2011 Entrees, Recipes, Vol.5 No.2, 2011 Recipe for Success No Comments

– from the kitchen of Sandra Clarke, communications specialist, office of the vice provost for research and economic development, STORIES writer (courtesy ISU Extension to Families)

Ingredients:

3 eggs, lightly beaten

1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil

½ cup chopped onion

2 cloves minced garlic, or ½ teaspoon garlic powder

3 cups cooked brown rice (I microwave a bag of frozen brown rice)

2 cups frozen vegetables, thawed

1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce

Black pepper

Directions:

Spray a deep 12” skillet with cooking oil spray and place over medium heat.  Pour the lightly beaten eggs into the skillet; cook without stirring until eggs are completely cooked, two to three minutes.  Remove the eggs to a warm plate and cut into strips; set aside.  Return the skillet to the burner and add the oil.  Heat to medium high and add the onion and garlic.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened.  Stir in the rice, vegetables, and soy sauce. Heat through, stirring occasionally.  Add the egg strips and heat through.  Sprinkle with pepper, if desired, before serving.

Comment on this Article:

STORIES

FROM THE DEAN – SPRING 2014

21 Jul 2014

3174

I was born and raised in Kansas, but Iowa is my home. I’ve come to know Iowa as a very special place. It’s where I’ve spent much of my life and career. It is a privilege to serve as the dean of agriculture at Iowa’s land grant university, on behalf …

FOREWARD – SPRING 2014

21 Jul 2014

3177

We’re all Iowans. Our time on campus unites us all as Iowans, if only for a few years. When I interview alumni, especially those from out of state, I always ask them what drew them to Iowa State and what made their time in Ames special. Some mention the picturesque, …