News from Campus – Fall 2017
FOOD SCIENCE AND HUMAN NUTRITION ADDS NURSING DEGREE
The Iowa Board of Regents has approved plans for a new bachelor of science in nursing degree in the Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition. The RN-BSN is a continuation program designed for registered nurses—those working in the field as well as recent graduates of approved nursing programs—who want to earn their bachelor’s degree. The program will begin in fall 2018.
CANO CAMACHO AWARDED GEORGE WASHINGTON CARVER SPIRIT OF INNOVATION AND SERVICE AWARD
Valeria Cano Camacho, a junior majoring in agronomy and global resource systems, was one of five undergraduate students nationwide to receive the 2017 George Washington Carver Spirit of Innovation and Service Award. This is the second year the award was presented as a tribute to the legacy of Carver. Recipients are first-generation college students pursuing a scientific degree with a high level of involvement in campus activities.
SUCCESS FOR CALS STUDENT TEAMS
- The Agricultural Business Club received the Outstanding Chapter Award at the Agricultural and Applied Economics Association annual meeting. John Maubach, senior in agricultural business, placed first in the Earl O. Heady Spreadsheet competition.
- The Dairy Science Club placed first in overall team judging at the Intercollegiate Dairy Cattle Judging Contest. Mason Lettinga, junior in animal science, received first place in the overall individual category and second in the oral reasons competition.
- The Crops Team earned second place in the Central Regional Crops Contest hosted by Oklahoma State University.
- The Soils Judging Team took third place honors at their regional competition in South Dakota earning them a place a national competition this spring.
- Leana Bouffard, professor and chair, sociology
- Kristen Johansen, professor and chair, Roy J. Carver Department of Biochemistry, Biophysics and Molecular Biology
- John Nason, professor and chair, ecology, evolution and organismal biology
- Evan Sivesind, manager, Iowa Pest Resistance Management Plan, entomology
- Catherine Woteki, professor, food science and human nutrition
GLOBAL AND NATIONAL LEADERSHIP RECOGNITION FOR FACULTY EXCELLENCE
- Thomas Baum, Charles F. Curtiss Distinguished Professor in Agriculture and Life Sciences and chair, plant pathology and microbiology, American Phytopathological Society fellow
- Matt Darr, professor, agricultural and biosystems engineering, American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers New Holland Young Researcher Award
- Kathleen Delate, professor of horticulture and agronomy, Rodale Institute Organic Pioneer Award
- Cindy Haynes, professor of horticulture, American Society for Horticulture Science Outstanding Undergraduate Educator Award
- Maynard Hogberg, emeritus professor, animal science, Livestock Publications Council Headliner Award
- Jack Koziel, associate professor, agricultural and biosystems engineering, won two Publons Peer Review awards, ranked in the top 1 percent of peer reviewers in environmental science
- Steve Mickelson, professor and chair, agricultural and biosystems engineering, American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers James R. and Karen A. Gilley Academic Leadership Award
- Manjit Misra, director, Seed Science Center, professor, agricultural and biosystems engineering, Global Agriculture Leadership Summit Global Agriculture Academic Leadership Award
- Gary Munkvold, professor, plant pathology and microbiology, American Phytopathological Society fellow
- John Patience, professor, animal science, JBS United 2017 John B. Swisher Leadership Award
- Stephen Smith, visiting professor, agronomy, American Seed Trade Association Lifetime Achievement Award
- Leo Timms, Morrill professor, animal science, American Dairy Science Association Award of Honor
- Kan Wang, professor, agronomy and director of the Plant Transformation Facility, Society for In Vitro Biology Lifetime Achievement Award, Iowa State University Global Professor of Biotechnology